The EYFS framework sets the UK standards for learning, development and care for children from birth to five years. The curriculum is built around four principles:
- A Unique Child – we recognize they are all different, but should be treated equally. We make every attempt to provide full opportunity for each child to do their best and we achieve this by ensuring their physical and emotional needs are met during their time at our nursery setting.
- Positive Relationships – is about children learning to manage their feelings and build relationships. We will support, listen and work with the children to help them learn. We have a nominated key carer for each child to ensure each child has the opportunity of building a close relationship and is well monitored during their time with us.
- Enabling Environments – planing and observing of each child’s progress and make every attempt to involve parents and the local community. We ensure that inside and outside spaces of the nursery are safe, interesting and engaging. Our carers support children when they move on, working as a team to help children succeed.
- Learning and Development – focuses on ensuring young children learn through play and exploration, with support for each individual. We encourage children to develop imagination, to get actively involved in learning and to make decisions. We make every attempt to develop children’s creative and critical thinking, balancing the need for both the children and adults to lead the learning.
In 2014 revised EYFS explains how and what your child will be learning to give them a firm foundation for a successful start at school. Your child will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of Learning and Development.
Of these, children usually develop the 3 Prime Areas first. These are:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
As children grow these Prime Areas will help them to develop skills in the 4 Specific Areas:
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
These 7 areas are used to plan your child’s learning. At nursery Moksliukas we use a fun, play based approach to supporting learning and development in the early years. Learning is guided by exceptional staffs which skilfully support children’s learning and development through effective teaching. Each child’s learning and development is recorded and celebrated through an individual portfolio.
Our staff will be happy to provide you with more information about the EYFS alternatively you can learn more about the revised EYFS by visiting the government website here.